RAAM and Ultra-endurance Scholarly Articles
When I first got seriously interested in doing the RAW, and perhaps someday the RAAM, one of the first stops was the library. Unlike "normal" endurance sports, the body of literature of knowledge about pushing oneself through the challenge of a multi-day event is not nearly as extensive. However, there are some interesting publications.
- Lahart, Ian M., Lane, Andrew M., Hulton, Andrew, Williams, Karen, Godfrey, Richard, Pedlar, Charles, . . . Whyte, Gregory P. (2013). "Challenges in maintaining emotion regulation in a sleep and energy deprived state induced by the 4800 km ultra-endurance bicycle race; the race across America (RAAM)." Journal of Sports Science and Medicine, 12(3), 481-8.
- Knap, B., and Doral, M. (2012). Nutrition Practice of the Race Across America Winner: A Case Report. In Sports Injuries: Prevention, Diagnosis, Treatment and Rehabilitation (pp. 1103-1108). Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer Berlin Heidelberg.
- Knechtle, Beat, Wirth, Andrea, Knechtle, Patrizia, Rüst, Christoph Alexander, and Rosemann, Thomas. (2012). A Comparison of Ultra-Endurance Cyclists in a Qualifying Ultra-Cycling Race for Paris-Brest-Paris and Race across America—Swiss Cycling Marathon. Perceptual and Motor Skills, 114(1), 96-110
- Bescos, Raul, Rodriguez, Ferran A., Iglesias, Xavier, Benitez, Adolfo, Marina, Michel, Padulles, Josep M., . . . Knechtle, Beat. (2012). High energy deficit in an ultraendurance athlete in a 24-hour ultracycling race. Baylor University Medical Center Proceedings, 25(2), 124-128.
- Knechtle, Beat, Knechtle, Patrizia, & Kohler, Götz. (2011). The Effect of 1,000 Km Nonstop Cycling on Fat Mass and Skeletal Muscle Mass. Research in Sports Medicine, 19(3), 170-185.
- Knechtle, B, Knechtle, P, Rüst, C A, Rosemann, T, and Lepers, R. (2011). Finishers and nonfinishers in the 'Swiss Cycling Marathon ' to qualify for the 'Race across America'.
- Schumacher, Y. O., Ahlgrim, C., Prettin, S., and Pottgiesser, T. (2011). "Physiology, Power Output, and Racing Strategy of a Race Across America Finisher" Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 43(5), 885-889.
- Hulton, A. T., Lahart, I. L., Williams, K., Godfrey, R., Charlesworth, S., Twigg, H., . . . Whyte, G. (2009). "Energy Intake And Expenditure During An Ultra Endurance Event - Race Across America," Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 41(5 Suppl 1), 316.
- Stewart, Ian B., and Stewart, Kelly L. (2007). "Energy balance during two days of continuous stationary cycling". Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition", 4(15), 15.
- Saldanha, P., & Montgomery, David L. (2000). Physiological Monitoring during the Bicycle Race Across America (RAAM): A Case Study, ProQuest Dissertations and Theses.
- Blackman, L. (1997). "Ultraendurance Cycling: Three Case Studies", ProQuest Dissertations and Theses.
- Clark, Nancy, Tobin, John, Jr., and Ellis, Cathy. (1992). "Feeding the ultraendurance athlete: Practical tips and a case study". Journal of the American Dietetic Association, 92(10), 1258-62.
- A.M. Luks et. al (2007), "An Ultracyclist with Pulmonary Edema during the Bicycle Race Across America," Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise
Issue: Volume 39(1), January 2007, pp 8-12.